We’ve all suffered from injuries affecting our musculoskeletal system but have not needed the services or an orthopedic surgeon. Who then needs a surgeon? An orthopedic surgeon is a specialist Dr. Brian Cable. You will therefore be referred to this kind of doctor for injuries and illnesses that require specialist attention. This does not mean that the injuries or illnesses must be life threatening to get the attention of an orthopedic surgeon. They may be manageable injuries that require the touch and knowledge of a medical doctor specialized to treat these injuries and illnesses.

Arthritis is a disease that is commonly referred to a specialist in orthopedics. This condition causes inflammation, stiffness and great pain to the joints. People suffering from arthritis usually exhibit joint cartilage damage. The effects of arthritis may be so severe that they affect the patient’s ability to carry out day to day activities such as brushing their teeth, walking or sitting without a great deal of pain. Treatments that may be used for arthritis include lifestyle changes, surgical procedures such as hip replacement and the administration of medication.

Various physical injuries may require the attention of an orthopedic surgeon. These injuries normally result from high risk activities or sports. Injuries such as torn ligaments, pulled or strained muscles, cuff injuries and knee injuries amongst other similar injuries fall under these category.

Tumors are increasingly becoming a treatment specialty for orthopedic surgeons. However, orthopedic surgeons will only deal with tumors that grow within or on bones. These tumors are treated by surgical removal. These doctors are specially trained on how to remove the tumor while preserving as much mobility as possible. It is therefore preferable to have an orthopedic surgeon for this type of treatment.

These specialists are most commonly consulted for the treatment of broken, dislocated or crushed bones. Thus orthopedics has come to be associated mostly with these types of injuries. Not all broken bones are referred to orthopedic surgeons however. Minor injuries, especially in adults, can be dealt with by a general practitioner. However, if the injury requires surgery or the insertion of pins to stabilize the bones, an orthopedic specialist is required. Simple bone injuries in children must always be referred to orthopedic surgeons. This is because children are still growing and their bones are still developing. To ensure that the effects of the injuries are not long term, a specialist touch is required.

Many people who struggle with pain and injuries to the musculoskeletal system prefer to deal with it in their own ways. These injuries may worsen and cause serious problems. If you find yourself in such a situation, seek the advice of specialists in orthopedics to ensure that you get proper treatment for your condition.

By Olivia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *